North Avenue’s Children and Family Ministries (CFM) Team is excited to engage our children in a deeper relationship with Jesus. It is a joy and delight for each of us to work with you as your children grow in their faith, knowledge, and relationship with Jesus.
Read the October 2015 Children & Family newsletter here.
Big Adventure Preschool Department
We welcome all children eight-weeks through Pre-K to spend Sunday mornings with us in the BIG Adventure Preschool Department. Our program is designed to accommodate children who attend Sunday School for multiple hours while their parents worship one hour and serve or attend an adult class during another. One Biblical story provides the foundation for the entire morning, but different activities are utilized during each hour. The North Avenue campus can be a little challenging. We encourage our families to enter through the preschool entrance via the BIG Adventure door in the lower parking deck. Check-in (and sign-in for volunteers) is located just inside the door.
Register Preschool Children (8 weeks-Pre-K) for the 2015-2016 Year in Big Adventure here.
- Sundays in Big Adventure
Big Adventure is also our Sunday morning program for preschoolers, children who were 2-years-old prior to August 1, 2013 thru those children who are in pre-k. All preschool classes use Gospel Light curriculum focuses on God’s love for us all. Each session emphasizes both a Bible story and Bible Verse. Our program is designed to accommodate children who attend Sunday School for multiple hours while their parents worship one hour and serve or attend an adult class during another. One Biblical story provides the foundation for the entire morning, but different activities are utilized during each hour.
During the 9:00 hour our 3 year olds and pre-k children participate in our Cherub choir while our 2 year olds are cared for by our professional caregivers and church volunteers.
During the 10:00 hour children hear the Bible story from a storyteller and then explore different ways of applying the story through play and projects. This is the time where we focus on developing relationships with our children. Their relationship with Jesus, their relationship with their peers and their relationship with adults in our church family that love and encourage them. We pray, play and also share a snack together.
During the 11:00 hour children explore the Bible story and engage in different experiences to apply the lesson to their lives.
- Check-In in Big Adventure
- Back label should be filled out and placed on the back of your child with all pertinent information needed to provide the caregiver ensuring your child will receive the best care possible. At your convenience, you may pick up a supply of labels for you to fill our prior to your arrival at the nursery to help expedite a quick and smooth drop off process.
- Item labels Please make sure that all of your child’s diaper bag contents are properly marked and/or labeled. We ask that you include your child’s first and last name and that all contents are marked prior to your arrival at the nursery. Labels are available at the nursery desk; please feel free to take additional sheets as needed.
- Diaper Bag Tag Please make sure your child’s diaper bag is labeled with the provided tag so that the nursery staff can properly identify your child’s belongings. Having your child’s bag properly labeled will eliminate children receiving the wrong food or personal items. If bags are left behind they will be taken to the lost and found at the Nursery Welcome Desk and you will be notified.
- Sign-In Sheet Once you drop your child off please sign him/her in on the clipboard outside the doorway. PLEASE include the following information: your name, child’s name and age, your location, and cell/pager number.
- The ID card is the means by which you will pick up your child. Present this card to the volunteer or the caregiver at the door. Once approved you will keep this card on your person until the next time you utilize the nursery. If your card is lost please notify someone at the nursery welcome desk who will issue you a temporary card for that day until a new card can be made.For safety reasons, we ask that you not go into the nursery rooms. When you drop off/pick up your child, please give your child to a caregiver or volunteer. If your child seems anxious, please be assured that most children are just fine within minutes after a parent leaves. If your child is still upset after ten minutes, you will be notified through your cell phone or pager.
- Cell Phone / Pager If you have a cell phone, please turn it to vibrate. Write your cell phone number down on the sign-in sheet and the back tag on your child. If you receive a call from a phone number that begins with “842-xxxx” please report to your child’s room. If you don’t have a cell phone, pagers are available at the nursery welcome desk; please ask the nursery captain to loan you one. Our pagers are on the vibrating system, so you must wear or hold the pager to know when it activates.
- What if my child is sick?
In order to insure a healthy environment for all children in our care, please do not bring your child to the nursery if he/she exhibits any of the following in the preceding 24 hours:
- Green or yellow runny nose
- Excessive coughing
- Questionable rash
- Discharge in or around the eyes
- Any communicable disease
If your child becomes ill in the nursery, you will be notified immediately, and we will request that you take your child home. If your child is being treated with antibiotics, he/she must have received medication for at least 24 hours before returning to the nursery.
Great North Elementary Department
Great North is our Sunday morning program for kindergarten through fifth grade at the 10 and 11a.m. hours. Great North has adopted the 252 Basics curriculum which is a virtue based large group/small group program whose 3 basic truths are: trust God no matter what, make the wise choice, and treat others the way you want to be treated. Students will experience a large group time of worship, games, activities, and Bible teaching. This is followed by activities in their small group that build relationships between the children and Jesus, their peers, and their leaders, and learn about applying God’s word to their lives.
Great North is our Sunday morning program for kindergarten through 5th grade at the 10:00 and 11:00 hours. Great North has adopted the 252 Basics curriculum which is a virtue based large group/small group program whose 3 basic truths are: Trust God no matter what, Make the wise choice, and Treat others the way you want to be treated.
During the 10:00 hour kindergarten through 5th grade students will experience a large group time of worship, games, activities, and Bible teaching. This is followed by activities in their small group that build relationships between the children and Jesus, their peers and their leaders and applying God’s word to their lives. We follow the Know what, So what, Now what format: Know what is the information and facts we learn. So what is the reason it is important in our relationship with Jesus and others. Now what is how we prayerfully live out what we are learning.
During the 11:00 hour K-3rd grade children will experience the 10:00 lesson in a different way. Both programs are staffed with volunteer leaders that are serving in areas of their giftedness. We have large group leaders, small group leaders, hospitality or greeting teams, and a mid-week operations group that puts the supplies, props and other elements together for Sunday. We are blessed to have this team of people loving and serving your children.
- Behavior Expectations
A Welcoming environment is where everyone feels safe. Our programs can and should be a fun experience for all children involved and we want every child to feel welcome and safe. Please consider this code of conduct carefully and thoughtfully as you think about your involvement with Children’s Ministry at Peachtree. Our code of conduct can be summed up in one word: RESPECT. We expect our children to…
- Respect for self and others. Treat others, as you would like to be treated, using the kind of language and appropriate behavior.
- Respect for leaders. Listening and following the directions of your leaders are expected at all times during any church event.
- Respect for the building. We take care of our building and property by cleaning up, walking in hallways, and staying with our group at all times.
- Great North Check-In
Parents are responsible for the check-in and pick-up of their children. Kindergarten – 2nd grader may picked up by their parents or older sibling. 3rd -5th graders are the only ages that may meet their parent in different location of the church. We encourage and welcome your children to bring their friends. We will have a special sign in sheet and nametag for them to fill our at the age level welcome tables when you check-in.
Sunday Morning Schedule
9 AM Worship Hour
- Big Adventure our littlest ones are cared for in the nursery in Big Adventure while older preschoolers participate in children’s choirs.
- Cherub Choir (Age 3 through Kindergarten) learns and practices worshiping God through music (kids are dismissed from worship to go to choir).
- Junior Choir (elementary grades 1-5) learns musical skills and worship practices, meets in the Choir Room on the third floor (also dismissed from worship).
10 AM Discipleship Hour
- Big Adventure Check in at the Big Adventure Welcome Desk. You may enter the Big Adventure department from the lower parking deck just off of North Avenue.
- Great North (elementary grades K-5) Children meet in the Great North area which is located on the parking deck level on the Peachtree/North Avenue side of the building. If you need help finding the Great North area, find someone from the Hospitality Team (red name-tag) who can escort you there.
11 AM Worship Hour
- Big Adventure Check in at the Big Adventure Welcome Desk. You may enter the Big Adventure department from the lower parking deck just off of North Avenue.
- Great North (11 a.m. programming is for elementary grades 1-3) Parents are invited to bring their child(ren) in grades 1-3 to Room 207 in Big Adventure for children’s programming for the remainder of the service.
11 AM & 12 PM Church Lunch
Lunch for families and friends ($6 per individual or $15 per family)
- How do I find the children's departments?
The North Avenue Campus can be a little challenging. We encourage our families to enter through the preschool entrance via the BIG Adventure door in the lower parking deck. Check-in (and sign-in for volunteers) is located just inside the door. Elementary families may enter here as well and an ambassador will accompany you to the GREAT North Elementary department!
What should my child wear?
Children who attend preschool Big Adventure will be active participants in activities and crafts, some of which involve glue, paint, and other messy stuff.
Allergies and Health Concerns
Please indicate any allergies or health concerns your child has on the registration card. That information will be added to your child’s name tag.
What if my child has special developmental needs?
Please indicate any special developmental needs your child has on the registration card. A staff member will talk with you regarding your child’s needs and plan with you for his/her participation.
Should I bring a snack?
All preschool children are offered a simple snack of crackers (Graham crackers, goldfish, pretzels, animal crackers, etc.) and water during the 10:00 hour. Please be sure your child’s teachers are aware of any allergies or food restrictions your child has.
When can my child give his or her offering?
Children are encouraged to bring an offering to church every Sunday. An offering collection box is located in the entry way to The Big Adventure.
What happens when a child misbehaves?
Just as Jesus taught his followers to know, love, and respect God and their fellowman, we need to do the same with our children. Children learn best when the environment is comfortable, predictable, and engaging; we strive to ensure that our programs provide such an environment. When inappropriate behavior does occur, it is addressed lovingly and in a developmentally-appropriate manner.
Where can I nurse my child?
A space is available in the Nursing Room (In the Big Adventure hallway) for mothers who need to nurse their children while on site at NAPC during the week and on Sunday.
Part of North Avenue’s strategic focus is to engage the next generation for Jesus. We can play an active role in doing just that, right here in North Avenue’s Children and Family Ministries! Be a blessing in the lives of our children and families! Sharing time, talent, and heart with our children will help foster their forever friendship with Jesus. Through the simple offering of a few hours, God will use us to impact our church, our community, and our world. God will also use it to bless us! We ask that you prayerfully commit to a school year of serving. There are many opportunities and ways to serve. Check out the different ways we can change the life of a child and sign up to serve by contact Bridgett Stewart at email@example.com.
- Big Adventure Preschool Volunteer Needs
- ROOM SHEPHERDS Provide leadership for a Big Adventure classroom (infants through Pre-K). This role supports the rooms through scheduling volunteers for the 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. services as they collaborate with Big Adventure staff. [Yearlong commitment]
- NURTURE IN THE NURSERY Join us Sunday mornings in our nursery classes along with our child caregivers to create a safe and loving environment for our youngest friends. [9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.]
- CLASSROOM LEADERS Serve as a guide, teacher and a mentor. Enjoy shepherding, building relationship with preschool children, and sharing Christ’s love with them Sunday mornings. Sit with children as the Storyteller shares our lesson and lead the children in their follow-up projects and activities that are provided.
- MATERIALS PREP TEAM Work closely with the Big Adventure Coordinator to outline and purchase materials needed for Sunday School. Volunteers in this position will collect materials and prepare the Sunday school projects at their own convenience.
- STORYTELLERS Make the Bible come alive to preschoolers! Use your teaching gifts and imagination to tell biblical stories to children using our curriculum. You will share the Bible story, memory verse, and have discussion with the children before they do their follow-up projects. [10 a.m. and 11a.m.]
- SUBSTITUTES Classroom Leaders and Storytellers need a break every once in awhile! Be a part of our list of volunteers willing to step in and help out on an as-needed basis.
- GREETERS/WELCOME/SECURITY TEAM Welcome families, assist visitors to find classrooms, and answer questions about our Big Adventure Ministry. [9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.]
- Great North Elementary Volunteer Needs
- SMALL GROUP LEADERS Connect, guide, and grow! Develop relationships with kids as you dive deeper into each week’s lesson. Lead fun, engaging, and unique activities to further explore and apply our monthly virtue and weekly Bible story. [10 a.m. and 11 a.m.]
- LARGE GROUP TEACHERS Teach, act, and excite! Be a part of our teaching team! Teach the weekly Bible lesson in a large group setting. Teachers are on a rotation and can sign up for as many Sundays as they wish. [10 a.m.]
- MATERIALS PREP TEAM Collect, copy, and collate! Gather, prepare, and organize supplies for Sunday lessons. [weekday serving opportunity]
- MUSIC AND WORSHIP TEAM Praise, sing, and lead! Lead our kids in Worship, or share your musical gifts as a featured performer. [10 a.m.]
- GREETERS Meet, greet, and eat! Welcome and register new families, hand out snacks, and assist kids and families as they sign in each week. This can be on a weekly or monthly rotation. [10 a.m.]
- SMALL GROUP SUBSTITUTE Go, go, go! Fill infrequent, last-minute absences from the above roles. Great for those who travel or can’t commit to a regular schedule! [10 a.m.]
- Ministry Wide Volunteer Needs
- CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS Love, nurture, and serve! Support children with special needs in the classroom or in a customized program. Share with them about God’s love in a safe and structured environment while attending to any individual needs the children have. [9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.]
- SPECIAL EVENTS Plan, implement, and celebrate! Volunteers are needed for our special programs throughout the year. If you like to collaborate with others on a project or event this is for you! [Opportunities available year round.]